Friday, December 1, 2006

It takes a Village

Happy Friday!!!
 
I am a firm believer that we need to be a village. It takes personal risk of getting involved, of stepping outside our problems and personal stuff and reach out to others.
 
We cannot exist alone, we are all at times in need of help and guidance. We need other, we need  people to give us new ways to look at things.
 
I volunteer a lot with children, I love the way they think, I love their imaginations.
 
I also believe that since I am more available during the day, I have a responsibility to be of service to those parents who have to work a job that does not give them the luxury of being able to spend time at school or at after school events.
I like to be of service to our underpaid overworked teachers, even if it's copying classroom stuff, just to help.
 
I've said the same things their parents would have said, eat your sandwich before the pudding... don't waste food, children are starving, be kind to each other ...lol
 
I just make myself available, to listen.. to allow them to be heard...sometimes it's about a pet that died, or a sandwich in their lunch that they hate, and sometimes it is about conflict resolution, and teaching them about compassion, by being compassionate.
 
I also like to hear their dreams, their aspirations, what interests them and to do things that stimulate their imaginations; making paper airplanes, making friendship bracelets, knitting, ceramics, storytelling... It makes me feel younger too...
 
Volunteerism makes us feel good, it improves our mood, and actually releases endorphins. There are many way to be of service.
Bloom where you're planted....
 
Here is the thought for the day-
 
Every one of us needs a home.
The world needs a home.
There are so many young people who are homeless.
They may have a building to live in, but they are homeless in their hearts.
That is why the most important practice of our time is to give each person a home.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Namaste,
Marianne Goldweber

No comments: