Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Aare elders always older?

Good Morning All!!
 
I was in the drugstore the other day, and three girls were in line behind me..2 were friends about 12 and one was a "little sister" about seven years old.
 
The older girl was saying to the little one..You're stupid, Santa hates you, why would anyone want to buy you a present you're so ugly....
 
It's amazing how time can stand still long enough for us to have a vision....
 
It was 1976...I was 13 and having one of a litany of bullying sessions  with my sister about her wearing my clothes.... I was superior, and I tried to make her feel bad....I don't think I could have been crueler...She always complied, and never fought back.....
 
As time progressed, she seemed to be always making concessions for others, taking the path of least resistance....she showed me that you don't always have to have a confrontation to emerge the winner...
In observing her growth into womanhood and her deep spiritual commitment, she has become an elder; who I depend on to bring me into balance.....to get a different perspective from my own....She still listens to me when I'm not at my best, and brings me into focus.
 
I turned to the girls in the drugstore and said "I have a little sister, who I treated very badly when she was younger..What you say can affect her for the rest of her life..and today, I am  very sorry for that.....because I found out later that she was perfectly awesome and it was me who needed her."
 
The little one gave me a wink...
 
I really think she is much wiser than her sister knows...today....
 
Here is the thought for the day
 
Imagine that every person in the world is enlightened but you.
They are all your teachers, each doing just the right thing
to help you learn perfect patience,
perfect wisdom,
perfect compassion.

Author Unknown
But Greatly Appreciated!

 
 
Namaste,
Marianne Goldweber

No comments: