Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Being present in the Now

Good Morning all!!

 

Being Present. This has become a catch phrase. To be truly present means not thinking about what was said or done yesterday, and not thinking about later, or tomorrow or creating scenarios in your mind to be played out years from now, or become distracted while listening to another. Rather than focusing on what you are doing, right now. I encourage you all to read, The power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

 

Being present requires we take the focus off ourselves....

 

We as a society, talk too much and do little listening. We all want to be heard. No one listens to our sacred point of view, because no one is present while we are talking. 

What a vicious cycle.

 

We do not know how to be still and present while communicating, or thinking. This is why being still is so important, It trains us to remain present, because, no one is more important that the person in our personal space at that moment.

 

I have done this as well; as many of you that are nodding in agreement!

 

When we are not present, we are not honoring another's sacred point of view.

 

I had an acquaintance that would look at her reflection in any reflective surface. A window, glass, mirror, spoon, while I was talking. Was she not present? Yes. Ignoring me, not intentionally. But how she looked overweighed our conversation. To say the least, she ended up alone with her reflection, and could not understand why she could not connect with men, or women for that matter. 

 

I run into an old acquaintance... I ask, what's new? They begin to tell me, and my mind begins to wander, to the grocery list in my purse, the conflict I had with my spouse before I left the house. Meanwhile, my acquaintance says, are you okay?

As I am called back from my distraction..... Have I honored them? No.

 

Our children need us to be present truly listening when they begin to share their personal truth. Being present and connected with our children encourages them to be free to express themselves, and creates ongoing dialog. We want to continue this way of communicating through their challenging years. They will know that we are listening, really hearing what is said, and what is not. We must be PRESENT in order to Hear the nuance.

 

Today, Oh normal day, make an effort to really listen, and observe what is distracting you, make note of the distraction, and give it it's time to be solved, and finished. 

 

 

Here is the thought for the day:

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.

Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. 

Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. 

Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.

One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."

Mary Jean Iron

 
Namaste,
Marianne Goldweber
Here is the web page:http://hometown.aol.com/blueroadspirit/myhomepage/business.html
Here is a link to my journal page: Walking the Red Road
 

No comments: