Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Skating the Red Road

Good Morning!
 
I never thought I would ever be over 40.. but yesterday I went to a roller skating party with my son and realized mentally I may not feel 40 but physically I am much much older than my years.
 
My son was struggling to stand and looked at me with fear and angst, hanging onto the rail turning to me for guidance and inspiration.....
 
I tried to tell him how to do it, but standing there in shoes, I felt like a hypocrite, so I rented a pair of skates, got them laced up, and off I went........
 
In my mind, I could remember being 17, gliding along, doing spins, and 'groovin to the music but 28 years later, my reality was far from that, as I tried to convince my body that we remember how to do this!! 
I pin wheeled and stumbled, finally getting up enough speed up by the end of the evening to prevent getting run over.
I fell only once, and let me tell you, getting up was quite a Kodak moment!!
 
My son saw me as inspiration, as he finally let go of the rail and soloed.... making it all the way around the rink.We even skated a couples song together.
He told me he was proud of me.
I told him the same...
We shared a lot in that moment.
 
Life and Spirituality are like that...
 
We come here with all the answers, we visualize a better way, but strapping on the equipment and taking the risk is not easy..
 
We don't know what we are capable of until we make an effort, and with practice, we get stronger, and more confident... at first, we careen, but we get our footing and find the joy in success...
Others are watching...even if they point and laugh... but some will be inspired by your determination..giving them the courage to try also....
 
and yes, you will fall on your butt.  
 
But if you stay down, you'll get run over, so get up and try again.....
 
Here is the thought for the day!
 
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare,
It is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Seneca

 
Namaste,
Marianne Goldweber

1 comment:

Siddik said...

Good morning . What a beautiful post about skate is it!!!!!!!! Thanks for posting this post!!!!!!!!Welcome to skating with your son. Thanks.