Friday, February 13, 2009

Road trip- Marianne takes the kids to the homelss shelter

I am the car pool Mom and take my son and four other kids home ever day.
Yesterday I had been taking donations to various agencies throughout Cleveland.

I picked up the kids and they were being kids- picking on and fighting with each other...
(I say kids but they are in junior high)

So I told them I had to make a stop to drop off one more donation- and I took them to the Men's homeless shelter in downtown Cleveland. I had a load of blankets - and knowing the temperature was going down again, I felt they would be desperately needed.

Well...Divine timing being what it is- we arrived at about 3:30- just when the men are lining up to get in to the shelter for the evening. There were at least 60+ men standing in line with their bags of possessions.
My son goes there all the time- but the others had never been there.
The car got very quiet.

I turned around and explained- In the morning- the shelter makes all the men go out to the street, it seams mean- but if they didn't, they wouldn't look for work- or see how painful this way of life is. I explained that these men have serious problems. Some are addicted to drugs and alcohol- some are mentally ill. Some got out of prison and can't find work- because they have had no education- or their criminal record makes it almost impossible to get a job. But when they come in to the shelter at night- they get food, a bed, a shower, laundry and counseling if they want it- and if they do- they help them get their lives in order. They get them medical- mental health and legal assistance- even tutors from the college come to help them get their GED.

So I told them to lock the doors while I dropped off the blankets.
I walked across the street and all the men said "Hi!!! What 's in the bags- is it food- can I have some???" They were laughing and they even held the door for me. I left the bag at the desk and went right back out. One man yelled- "Will you marry me??" "I yelled back- "You don't want me I'm a lot of work!!" which got a big laugh from the entire group... All the while- 5 pairs of very large eyeballs were watching from the van.

I got back in the car- and we all waved at the men who were waving at us....
I expressed how grateful I am for my life....
It was a pretty quiet ride home....

2 comments:

Feral Britches said...

nice. I work the homeless in an event called the Homeless Stand Down. I love all the support and volunteers who come to us but it still shocks me to see and hear what people think is going on and why. Thank you for being a knowledgeable resource for your children. ps- get a NEOCH street card too.

Unknown said...

Pam- thank You for being of service to the community through volunteerism.
The Homeless Stand Down is a great event!
The street card that you are referring to can me found at; http://www.neoch.org/EastClevelandstreetcard08.pdf
I always keep them in my car- it it is valuable tool for outreach in addition to informing ourselves about what agencies are available for services.
All of the agencies listed on the card accept volunteers and donations of all sorts.