Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Faith and Fear

I believe we are here as a soul to have an experience.

Every event in our life- everyone we meet -have been strategically placed in our path in a Divine way to afford us an experience.

When it is a positive experience we can apply Faith that it is Divine.
But- when the experience is senseless and tragic- we have learned to apply Fear and cannot believe that there is anything Divine at work.

Fear is the absence of Faith.

Fear makes us a victim to tragedy- Faith offers us a freedom that it is purposeful in the Divine plan in our life- or the experience of another.

I have experienced many tragedies in my life. In the moment- it is very difficult to think that there is a Divine purpose- it makes me angry- it makes me helpless and it makes me want to control the uncontrollable.

Faith allows me to release my need to know- to control the outcome and be present to the event.

There are many things at work that I cannot understand from my limited perception as a human being. This is where I know- through Faith- that as senseless as it seems- there is Purpose.

In retrospect- I have seen these events inspire significant changes- without them happening, these changes would never have occurred.
Out of the rubble of despair- great things have been born.

Here is the thought for the day-

“There is nothing that wastes the body like worry,
and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry
about anything whatsoever”

Mahatma Gandhi

1 comment:

Sue Andrella said...

Marianne - this is beautiful and SO true. Your words coupled with the quote from Gandhi are the perfect combination for those of us feeling incredibly human, vulnerable, and afraid. Fear - creeps up on us and makes us doubt our connection to the divine and to others. It isolates us and takes away our power. In the very moments when we have the most unseen support and love...we feel most alone and helpless. Ironic...but isn't that what life is? Thank you for your eloquent words... a gentle reminder to many... more powerful than you will ever know.