Monday, April 20, 2009

Change- The river of life.....

Change
I always share in lectures that human beings only learn through pain. Sounds grim but it is a fact....and resistance to change is the cause of suffering for many of us..We will do anything to avoid pain.

Change is a constant state; What I believed to be true from my limited perception in youth; due to lack of experience and my inflated ego- came to be a humbling.But I could not see that until I looked back in my adulthood.

Lack of faith-insecurity, ignorance and ego are the saboteurs in our ability to accept change.

What brings peace is understanding that there is a current under the canoe of life and no matter how hard we paddle that current is going to take you down river.

I am an avid canoeist- and we would take 3 day river trips- sometimes with people who never canoed in their life..We would stay in the rear and watch as the river took a turn, and in the bend there would be a tangle of debris. We would tell them not to paddle- but steer only at the bend- but inevitably they would not listen. It was amusing to watch people paddle their proverbial butts off- only to get caught in the debris- having to get out and drag the boat- as we gently and effortlessly glided past them...

Life is like that. We are faced with change and we resist, we struggle to stay where we are. With what is familiar- where we feel powerful.

Change asks us to admit we don't have all the answers, that there is an exciting opportunity waiting around the bend. We would rather struggle and fight- but inevitably the current takes you downriver- around the bend. Whether you like it or not.

Let's embrace change- not as something to fear- but as a chance to stretch- learn something new to explore the journey on the river of life...

Just remember as my friend Chuck used to say ":Just go with the natural flow of the river!!"

Then you can just enjoy the view....

Thought for the day

The river- Garth brooks
You know a dream is like a river
Ever changin' as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Too many times we stand aside
And let the waters slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
It has now become today
So don't you sit upon the shoreline
And say you're satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance that tide
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
There's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
With the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all
And I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Lord, I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

No comments: