Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother the same accross the world

Etymologgy states the word Mother means:
English mother and Latin mater and many similar maternal words contain the worldwide etymon ma ‘breast’ + ter an Indo-European agent suffix, so that the etymological meaning of the word mother is ‘breast-feeder.’

As this word implies- Mother is the source for nourishment- a self sustaining food source. Mother is not only the source for physical nourishment- but psychological and spiritual as well.
She is the channel for nurturing, care taking and connection to the Divine.

I share with you a Mothers day writing.


Mother

Mothering begins at birth-
In a moment of contrasts
The movement inside gone;a death.
But an indescribable celebration;
a new life at the breast
while the womb contracts and mourns it's loss.

The life sustaining umbilical cord severed;
but there will always be a cord that will never be cut.

I will continue to nourish you in a different way
from near or far
I will always know.

I am Mother;
Life bringer
Nourisher
Leader
Provider
Healer
Warrior
Shape shifter
Sage
Goddess
and Prophesier

I am the wellspring;
for any and all that thirst or need fed.

I fill my cup from an inexhaustible source;
I am love and comfort
I am patience and truth
I am encouragement and strength
I am Faith.
and give you my cup to slake your thirst.
Marianne Goldweber

No comments: